Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Childhood Memory
One of the things I remember about the weekend, whilst growing up, was the arrival of the Saturday paper. Inside the paper was a children's lift out section, with 3 pages of comics. These comic strips included 'Blondie', 'Hagar the Horrible', 'BC', 'Marmaduke', 'Peanuts', 'Andy Capp'
(even as a child I knew this was horrible) and 'Garfield'. While I was young I never understood a lot of these comics, especially the political undertones of 'BC', but loved reading them anyway.

After I left school I discovered the delights of 'Calvin and Hobbes'. I found a book of these comics on our shelves yesterday, and took it down to read again.
After I had googled 'Bill Watterson' (just as a general interest thing - is he still drawing Calvin and Hobbes thing), I discovered there is a site (actually, there are lots of them) that will send you regular comic emails. Of course I signed up for 'Calvin and Hobbes'. I can regularly read a comic strip again - different media, same idea.
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Bill Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes has been a worldwide favorite since its introduction in 1985. The strip follows the richly imaginative adventures of Calvin and his trusty tiger, Hobbes. Whether a poignant look at serious family issues or a round of time-travel (with the aid of a well-labeled cardboard box), Calvin and Hobbes will astound and delight you.
©2007 Universal Press Syndicate

2 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

I also love Calvin and Hobbes. My favorite one is when Calvin tells the little girl that he is an onion in the school play. He then asks her what she is she replys, "I'm fat" and Calvin responds, "no, in the play". The next panel shows Calvins feet sticking out of a snow bank. It still makes me laugh :0)

Priscilla said...

I just love Calvin and Hobbes too!