Thursday, September 06, 2007

Native Hibiscus
Yesterday I found a lovely plant which happens to be an Australian native. It has mauve flowers and will grow into a medium sized shrub. Apparently it is fast growing, and will reach a medium height of 2-3m (7-10') by about 1.5m (5') wide. Its growth habit and foliage is similar to a tomato plant. An added bonus is that it is supposed to attract birds to the garden.
I have only recently become a fan of our native flora, and have really begun to appreciate its beauty, and range of flowers and foliage. My favourite gardens were always the English cottage gardens, full of beautiful blooms. Australian native gardens always seemed ugly and desolate, and I think the ways the plants were used in suburban Sydney gardens, in the past, were very dull. Due to years of drought, and the push to plant water wise gardens, a lot of more attractive natives have become available.
PS: I am now friends with Priscilla and Kate on facebook. Are there anyother of my blogging friends out there on facebook?

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Very pretty!

Marie said...

Just beautiful...the color is spectacular and I would love to attract more hummingbirds and butterflies to my yard...good luck with that...I hope it becomes a landmark in your landscape.