Sunday, December 16, 2007

Spiders
Each morning, as I go outside into the yard, I wave a stick in front of me to tear away all the webs that have appeared overnight. There are hundreds of them! It is a shame to destroy such magnificent work, but they do make it difficult to complete daily chores.
The worst is when I charge out, forgetting about the spiders and their webs, only to have a face coated in web... and maybe spider. A little, manic dance follows, with me checking again and again that none of the eight legged creatures are attached to me.
I took this photo last night on our back deck. The spider had caught a Christmas beetle, and was preparing its meal.

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

Eeeeek! I think I would be doing the manic dance too if I walked into that!

Jaimie said...

Oh my, that looks like a big guy! Your yard is full of those? Thanks for visiting me! Come back anytime!

Our Red House said...

Do they ever leave messages for you?

Some Blogger?

Victor and Rachel J-L said...

Hi Jenny!
I've finally made it back to your blog and enjoyed it immensely, as always.
Hens! They're so lovely!
And your house is looking beautiful. I love the new door-table 'filling'. I so wish I could come and visit! Well, I will, but not for a while...
I'm missing real Christmas this year. They don't really do it properly here. Only commercially. But we have a beautiful little live Christmas tree and I've decorated it with little bells, lights and an angel on top. I'm sure it will get better each year.
much love to you and each of your dear family,
Rachel