Thursday, January 17, 2008

All Sorts of Things
Last night we had a BBQ at a friend's place, and ended the night watching a DVD of the Midnight Oil concert on Goat Island from 1985. It was to celebrate Triple J's (radio station) 10th birthday. I remember the concert as it was the first I recall being simulcast on TV (ABC) and the radio (Triple J). Some highlights in viewing this the second time around were:
Peter Garrett's dancing (the kids were amused and horrified!)
The song, "Short Memory"
Memories of my last year of highschool, and the political ideals that Peter Garrett represented at the time. (He is now the Minister for Environment, Heritage and the Arts....in a different political party than he supported back then!), and...
Rob Hirst's pink jumpsuit and sweatband.

I read Anne Enright's "The Gathering"this week. I felt that I should read it as it won the Man Booker Prize in 2007, and I like to be familiar with award winning books. Does anyone else do that?

Anyway, I would not say it was an easy or enjoyable read, and I wouldn't rush out and buy it if you would rather not read about sexual abuse (and who would really!), and don't like the odd bit of bad language.

The novel is a saga covering three generations of an Irish family and is set in Ireland and England. Its title refers to the funeral of Liam Hegarty, an alcoholic who committed suicide in the sea at Brighton. His mother and the nine surviving Hegarty children gather in Dublin for his wake. The novel's narrator is 39-year-old Veronica, the sibling who was closest to Liam. She looks through her family's troubled history to try to make sense of his death. She thinks that the reason for his alcoholism lies in something that happened to him in his childhood when he stayed in his grandmother's house. She uncovers uncomfortable truths about her family. (Wikipedia)

Yesterday I went into school for a little while to begin planning this year's programme. This year I am team teaching on a Years 5/6 Opportunity Class (OC). These are classes that cater for academically gifted and talented children. I am really looking forward to the challenge, although it is a little daunting at the moment. I will be teaching art, science and computers.
This is the view from the school's playground, across the road.

There is a major development ( new shopping center ) in progress, which will not be completed until 2010.

And our church will be smack bang in the middle of it! I think that is amazing.

Tomorrow I am off for a short break with some girlfriends. Two whole nights of child free fun. I do love my children dearly, but they are driving me bananas with their holiday squabbles!

We are going to Blackheath,in the Blue Mountains,to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday.

5 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

I think I wore my Midnight Oil tape right out in high school! (How can we sleep when our beds are burning?!...). I loved the song about the sunshine mine. What memories! I didn't realize the singer was an Australian politician---too funny!

Hope you fully enjoy your vacation. It looks beautiful! It is nice to get away from children from time to time. I find I'm always anxious to get home, and much happier and relaxed once I do get back. ENJOY!

And I'd love to see some photos of your bookshelves!---oh wait, is that them with the giant,scary bird on them?! :)

the feathered nest said...

Enjoy your break! It's good for us moms to take some time for ourselves. I'm always in a better mood when I do!
Manuela

Our Red House said...

Have a great break, Jen.

I'd love it if you came to Melbourne this year!

Kate

Laurie Anne said...

Have fun on your trip. Nothing like a little girls weekend to recharge the spirit :0)

Seraphim sigh said...

How much do I love your blog! I get to find out all these things that I other wise would never know. eg how Top Ryde Shopping centre is going or what the average American spends a week on food. It's the best!