Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sun, Surf and Films
I had a lovely short break at Avoca, a beach side town 1 1/2 hours from Sydney. The rest of my family are still enjoying this break, but I needed to return for work today. (They are returning to Sydney and 'real life' tonight.)
The first two days were very sunny and we all developed a different colour very quickly. (The following pictures were taken on the Monday when it was overcast - much better for photographing.) The surf was quite big, and churningly rough for the kids, but cool and refreshing.



George: The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli! (Do you know that quote?)

More photos here.

While we were in Avoca I manage to see two movies.

As It Is In Heaven. I loved it, loved it, loved it! Wikipedia says it is the longest running film in Australia.

A successful international conductor suddenly interrupts his career and returns alone to his childhood village in Norrland, in the far north of Sweden.It doesn't take long before he is asked to come and listen to the fragment of a church choir, which practises every Thursday in the parish hall. Just come along and give a little bit of good advice. He can't say no, and from that moment, nothing in the village is the same again. The choir develops and grows. He makes both friends and enemies. And he finds love.

And, The Darjeeling Limited. Another Wes Anderson film ( others include 'Rushmore', 'The Royal Tenenbaums', 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou', and soon, 'Fantastic Mr Fox'.)

Three American brothers who have not spoken to each other in a year set off on a train voyage across India with a plan to find themselves and bond with each other -- to become brothers again like they used to be. Their "spiritual quest", however, veers rapidly off-course (due to events involving over-the-counter pain killers, Indian cough syrup, and pepper spray), and they eventually find themselves stranded alone in the middle of the desert with eleven suitcases, a printer, and a laminating machine. At this moment, a new, unplanned journey suddenly begins.

I have seen some other movies these holidays, and may mention them at another time.

6 comments:

Cakes said...

What a beautiful beach! I'm freezing my toosh off today, so I'm very jealous.

I love the Darjeeling Limited!

Jennifer P. said...

The quote is from Seinfeld, right? :)

What a wonderful vacation it looks like you had! The beach looks like heaven compared to our endless plains of snow.

The movies look neat too. I have never heard of either of them, but I'm sure if they're that good they'll make their way into these parts eventually.

Welcome back to "real life" :)!

Priscilla said...

Is it from Seinfeld? It made me think of Seinfeld...but I didn't think I was right. But then I read the comment above.

I never heard of either of these movies. They sound interesting. I wanted to see "The Kite Runner"...it was showing here. But yet, I wasn't sure if I could really take the emotion of him betraying his friend.

Jenny said...

Yes. The quote is from Seinfeld. One of the funniest episodes ever!
"The Marine Biologist", in which George pretends to be a marine biologist to impress a girl, and then is 'forced' to help an ailing whale that has a golf ball caught in its blowhole (thanks to Kramer).

Laurie Anne said...

Classic Seinfeld :0)
Sounds like you guys had a great time :0)

Elena Manwaring said...

This is so fun for me to see pictures from Australia. I have always dreamed of visiting ever since I was a little girl. Someday I'll get there! That is the scariest looking ocean I have ever seen though. (I am scared of water a bit.) When I come, I'll be sure not to play there! Thanks for the comments on my blog.