Monday, March 17, 2008

It used to be just a fun day...
St Patrick's Day was one of those days I used to go to the pub after university, and then after work, to have a Black Velvet or a beer.

St Patrick's Day has far more significance for me now.
It is the birthday of my first child, Henry.
He would be 10 this year.



We visit the cemetery each year to mark his birthday.

The other kids ask more and more questions about death, and Henry, as they get older. I think it is a healthy thing for them to do so.

We explain each year again what happened... a cord accident. No one's fault. (Although it took a long time for me to come to terms with that. I blamed myself for ages. I should have done this... I shouldn't have done that...)

My only comfort is I know he is in Heaven, and I will see him again one day.

10 comments:

Seraphim sigh said...

Happy Birthday Henry. I know life is amazing where you are but we'd still like you here. It will be great to meet you one day. Love Amanda

Jennifer P. said...

Oh Jenny--I am so sorry. I know you are probably at peace with the death by now, but my heart just goes out to you. My first son, who is now 10, had his cord wrapped 3 times around his neck--but it happened during delivery, so we managed to get him out alright. Still, it just doesn't seem "fair". So glad we'll have someone who will answer the questions we gather in this life one day.

I wish you all the best. Your baby boy was just beautiful.

Emily Loria said...

Awww, Jenny. Sadness for you. I am glad you have found peace, but know I am thinking of you.

Victor and Rachel J-L said...

I have been thinking of you lots today and remembering Henry. I wish I could be with you but since I'm not I have decided to do something here to mark Henry's birthday. So this afternoon Victor and I are going to go out to the orphanage we are connected with adn have a party with them. We'll take cakes and fruit and I've bought some lovely children's bible story books that I found (which are printed in both Thai and English).
I am praying for you all. I love your family very much.
God bless you,
Rachel

Cakes said...

ahhh darling.
holding you in my heart today.

Paul Merrill said...

May God give you grace as you reflect on the loss.

Laurie Anne said...

Oh Jenny, sending you lots of warm thoughts :0)

Priscilla said...

Ohhh. That is so sad. I give you hugs all the way from America. I even have tears in my eyes.

sam and becca said...

love you guys

megduerksen.typepad.com said...

oh jenny...that is heartbreaking.
you are brave to share that with the world. it really shows your true self...caring and compassionate.
i am so sorry for your loss. it must still be hard every year. he knows for sure that he missed.
god bless you.