Friday, April 25, 2008

Today's Projects
#1
Madeleine was very keen to make a vegetable garden (she has been tending a garden at school, and wants to apply that knowledge at home), so yesterday we went to buy some wood to make a raised bed for her to grow some veggies in.
We began this morning by making a box out of pine, and then staking it in to the ground.

Andrew then made many trips with the wheelbarrow to fill it with soil - we have a mound of earth at the end of our backyard that was dug out a few years ago when we paved.

We then added lots of compost and chook manure and mixed it through.

Madeleine planted broccoli and peas, and I put in an artichoke.

I had an old art easel in the garage which we pushed into the top. We are hoping the peas are going to grow up and around it.

#2
I have some candle lanterns where the fabric was deteriorating around the frames. I pulled it off and used some scrap booking papers to recover them. (I am not a scrapbooker, but I cannot resist some of the beautiful papers, and often have a pile of them to use for all sorts of craft projects.)

3 comments:

Paul Merrill said...

Very creative!!

Cakes said...

We are about to build beds ourselves. I love the easel idea!

Our Red House said...

That's the cutest l'il vegie bed that I've ever seen. I love the pink easel for a trellis too.

Kate