Friday, July 04, 2008

Elephants and Funerals Last night I finished reading 'Water for Elephants'.
(It was actually one of those 24 hour reads, as I started the evening before and totally lost track of time, and then had to make myself go to bed, as it was going to be a very busy day yesterday.)
I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
It was fascinating and engaging.
I loved (and loved to hate) the characters, including Rosie the elephant.
*****
Yesterday was a very busy day. And a special one.
We began the day with a private cremation, a time for the family to say goodbye to John.
After lunch, there was a service at John and Sylvia's church to give thanks for John's life; and then an afternoon tea. It was wonderful to see how many people loved and respected John, and came to show that and support us. Thankyou.
The day elicited a few memorable comments from the children, (that would have, or will be, been amusing under the right circumstances) that relieved the tension for Andrew and I at the time.
All the grandchildren were so well behaved.
It is hard to know how much each understood of the occasion.
However, there will be many stories of their grandfather told in the future, especially over family lunches, and so they will remember him fondly from these.

5 comments:

Priscilla said...

My condolences to you and your husband.

Justin said...

I will miss John. We would like to have been there at St Phillips.

My best from the other side of the Pacific.

Emily said...

Hi Jenny.

My thoughts are with your family while you go through this rough time.

I put that book on hold at the library and can't wait to get to read it.

Sorry I have not been around in a while, so busy-busy!

I'll be better, promise.

Heather said...

It was a beautiful service...Andrew, you and the kids (so angelic) did such a great job. It was very honouring of John's life, and the impact he had upon a lot of people was really evident. Hope you're doing OK.

Love you Pocknalls xx

Priscilla said...

I just went to a friend's house and she had that book on her kitchen table. She has just started it. I may just have to borrow it from her.

God bless!