Friday, July 18, 2008


Telephone Companies
Don't you hate it when you are in the middle of bathing the kids, or cooking, or even just sitting down to read, and a representative of a telephone company knocks on the door offering you a deal.
And these guys just don't take the hint that you have no interest in their product, unless they can offer you free calls for the rest of your life.
What is worse, is when they ask, "When will your husband be home?" Sorry!! What century are we living in?!
(Actually, I shouldn't complain too loudly about that one, as I sometimes fob salesmen off with the excuse that hubby is not at home, and I couldn't possibly decide on their product without him.)
Well, I must have been feeling gracious and magnanimous, because I listened to one deliver his whole spiel last month... as a result we changed telephone companies again yesterday.
Back to Australia's largest telecommunications company.
The one we left a couple of years ago as they were not interested in offering us any special deals. They only do so when you actually leave them.
They have agree to match the price of the company we left, and then threw in a much better broadband deal - that clinched it for me!
I sent around an email to those in my contacts list and I was amused/surprised at the responses I got, and I quote:
"Hooray." (I think typed with a touch of sarcasm.)
"ah back to the bogpond you go..." (This company's email addresses end with bigpond.)
"Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate telstra. Poor
you!" (Another happy customer.)
"you can't beat them
they are just too big and toooooo powerful
you just have to accept it"
Time will tell. We can always change back, as I'm sure there will be counter offers made soon.

2 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

I always pull the "my husband isn't home" card. I just feel so sorry for those guys :0)

Priscilla said...

So...they do this in Australia too? I had a friend who's husband used to turn the call around where he was in charge and would end up frustrating the sales person so much that they would end up hanging up on him. Once he tried to sell them a dozen baby piglets.