Saturday, September 13, 2008

Flora
One of the great joys of holidays for me is the new plants and trees I get to enjoy.

I love to wander through gardens, admiring the flowers, leaves and structure.

The hotel had amazing gardens, tended by an army of gardeners constantly weeding, pruning and planting.
There were wonderful flowering vines flowing down from all the covered walkways.

As we walked along the Waikiki beaches towards Diamond Head (below) there were many plants to stop and photograph.


I think these characteristics just announce the tropics:

* Colourful bracts of flowers.


* Huge seed pods.


* Amazing root systems.

* Fiery foliage.


* And of course, palms.

8 comments:

Kat said...

So beautiful there. I would love to go. Someday! Of course all your pictures remind me of my favorite show. It's a long 140ish days until LOST returns...

Laurie Anne said...

I love Hawaii. So pretty. How could anyone get the blues living there. Everything is so vibrant.
Sounds like you guys had an wonderful trip :0)

Priscilla said...

Wow! That seed pod is amazing and I think that tree with all the roots belongs in some sort of fairy tale! I've never seen anything like this. Perhaps some day I'll get to go to Hawaii.

By the way...when I tried to look at your blog on my sister's computer, "parental controls" blocked and prevented me!!!! I'm guessing it was your "Hot butt" post! LOL

Kelly said...

Wow, I've never been to Hawaii so I didn't realize how MANY different amazing flowers and fauna they have...love the pictures of the trees with the incredible root systems!!

Emily said...

WOW! So amazing, I am dying to go to Hawaii one of these days. I want to take the kids. Did you take yours?

Jennifer P. said...

I find some of the foliage a little creepy. It's big enough to swallow me :)! But the lying on the beach pictures---HEAVEN! Sooooo glad you had such a good time, and that you made it home safe!

Aubrey said...

Um, so jealous you got to go to Hawaii. Did you remember your flat iron? (I looked at your profile). I didn't forget mine on our last trip, but they decided to stop working and only heat up on one side. Not good.

Paul Merrill said...

I hope the memories of your time there linger. (All too often after a fantastic holiday, it's back in the trenches and the memories quickly disappear.)