Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cupboard Makeover
I thought I would leave the holiday snaps for the moment, and post about a cupboard I have just given a makeover.
I love Dept. of Education furniture, and this was a very old cupboard that I rescued last year. A work colleague had actually pushed it down a flight of stairs (!!) and it was on its way to the tip. I used a paint and varnish stripper to begin the process.And then it was time for the electric sander.
I found some interesting things in the process - an old pen nib that was wedged into a back corner of a shelf that would have been used in the time of ink wells; and some very old graffiti, dating back to 1916!! I then gave the outside a couple of coats of clear varnish.
The wood is just lovely.

The cupboard doors were a bit of a mess, so I used some double sided tape and some fabric to make a feature of them.
I added wheels to the base from IKEA, and an old replica key I had picked up somewhere as a handle.
When I get the inside sorted out I will post some pictures - there is an amazing array of shelves.

7 comments:

Our Red House said...

Hi Jen,

You did a fantastic job on that cabinet. I want you to come to my house and do something like that, LOL.

Kate

Seraphim sigh said...

I was going to say you make me sick! But instead choose to say that you are the most amazing woman I know. xx

Priscilla said...

I love this!!!! I need a cupboard like this for my art stuff. I am assuming "the tip" means the junk yard. We don't use this term in the U.S.

I love the key handle! I hope you didn't totally sand out the old graffiti...which makes it all the more awesome of a piece!

Priscilla said...

Oh...I am so jealous!!!

:)

Mr C said...

Jen,
I am glad my old useless classroom cupboard could survive the terrible trip don the stairs. Surely knowing it could make through that treatment, you were confident it would last a bit longer!
By the way, that 1916 graffiti was hard to put on it and make it look real! haha

Deb and I think it looks great - fantastic actually. Well done!

Tristan

Victor, Rachel and David J-L said...

Jenny, you are SO clever!

It must be so satisfying to be able to find beauty in a piece of 'rubbish'. Well done.

much love,
Rachel

The Tulip Lady said...

hummm, very, VERY nice! Good job and very creative~