Friday, June 12, 2009

Am Sore
Today I had an implant inserted into my lower jaw bone.
The effects of the anesthetics is now wearing off and I am feeling it.

During the implant placement surgery, an incision is made in the gum to expose
the bone in the area where the implant will be placed. The bone site is prepared
to a size that accommodates the placement of the chosen implant. The implant is
screwed into the bone resulting in intimate contact between the implant threads
and the bone. The gum is sutured to cover and protect the implant during its
healing period. Bone will attach to the implant over the next 4 to 6 months.
The worst part of the procedure (excluding the injections beforehand - they always hurt) ... the dentist saying something along the lines of, "I've managed to get a good flap of gum up."... as he hovered over my mouth with a scalpel. And the tasting of what I assumed was large quantities of blood at first, but turned out to be saline.
Now I need to wait for it to heal. The stitches will come out next week. Eventually a new tooth will be attached to the implant.

And don't be horrified. I haven't been walking around with a obvious gap in my mouth. It is one of my back teeth being replaced.



1 comment:

Benjamin Ady said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JENNY!!! LOVE MEG

May your poor dear tooth heal with speed and gusto!

love,
Meg