Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sufjan update

Sufjan opened the night with Seven Swans. Beautiful. And then moved on to tunes/songs from The Age of Adz. You can read a review of his latest album here and here and here.

The night began with a sheer curtain in front of the band, which was raised and lowered during the night, on which images were projected. There was another large screen behind the band.

The combination of lighting and choice of costume was brilliant. Literally. Neon, day glo coloured stripes adorned the stage, instruments and clothing - especially on Sufjan himself. His jeans and t-shirt were amazing. Sufjan made neon cool.

The choice of such bright colours and patterns may sound odd for such an apocalyptic album, but it worked.I did not take these photos - I lifted them from Google images.

But of course the most important part of the evening, the music, was perfect. It has taken me quite a few listens to really appreciate some of the tracks on the album - some grated at first, they are discordant and not the music I have grown to love on his previous albums. But now I do. The band was outstanding. I don't think I have heard anything as good since Pink Floyd.

For me, the highlight of the evening was Vesuvius.

The night was rounded off with Chicago. For me this was a perfect ending. A round trip, so to speak.

The concert touched a chord with its spiritual content and the portrayal of humans needing love and the existence of something more (God). It is not often a concert brings so much with it.

2 comments:

Paul Merrill said...

So glad you enjoyed the concert, Jenny. Live music is a major blessing from the Creator.

If you want to check out some of the shows I've seen, go to YouTube & search for paultoothpaste.

Laurie Anne said...

Glad you had such a great time. Nothing beats a good concert.
:0)